Tips for Better Sleep

    Temperature, light, sound, and smell are all environmental factors that affect sleep quality. Healthy individuals experience a drop in body temperature while sleeping, naturally occurring in the early sleep cycle stages. A lower core temperature promotes sleepiness, while a higher temperature helps maintain daytime alertness. Loud or even slight noises inside and outside of the bedroom can greatly affect an individual’s sleep quality, whether that be from waking up momentarily or transitioning an individual into a lighter stage of sleep. Exposure to light before bedtime can affect sleep. When the eyes detect sunlight, it sends a signal to the brain to release cortisol, keeping you awake and alert. Therefore, it is best to dim or shut off light so the brain can produce melatonin to induce sleepiness.

    There are multiple ways you can create a good sleep environment. Use these tips to benefit your overall sleep:

  • White noise

  • Find your ideal pillow

  • Find your ideal sleeping temperature (typically cooler is more favorable)

  • Minimize noise inside and outside of your bedroom that may keep you awake (not including white noise)

  • Darken your room

  • Declutter your sleeping environment

  • Use essential oils

  • Determine if your mattress is up to your standards

  • Avoid blue light from technology

Comments

  1. I think this is such a great topic for a blog! Sleep is so important for everyone. I really like how you included multiple tips to benefit your overall sleep! I know I used to have a hard time getting sleep, and my main thing was that I would be on my phone for a long time right before bed. I started to minimize how close to my bedtime I use my phone, and saw a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Effects of Technology on Sleep Quality

Stress Management